The cause of a fire at Poudre School District's Fossil Ridge High School homecoming dance has been found to be accidental.

Poudre Fire Authority

A Poudre Fire Authority investigator found the cause of the fire was due to the misuse of electrical equipment, as well as the use of improper electrical equipment. A multi-plug adapter had too many extension cords plugged into it causing it to overheat and catch fire. The fire was minuscule and confined to the area of the adapter and outlet. It caused $1,500 in damage.

People did have to be evacuated from the dance after the small fire was reported. No injuries were reported as a result. PFA was first alerted to the fire after a 9-1-1 call was initiated at 9:27 p.m. The fire alarm system was activated, and the fire was extinguished by 9:29 p.m.

Students were able to return to the gym at 10:30 p.m. to get their belongings but the homecoming dance was cut short, and the Poudre School District alerted parents to the early cancellation.