Colorado Woman Reports iPhone Spontaneously Combusts
This is an unsettling report for someone like me who sleeps with his iPhone! In the only report so far from the United States, a Colorado woman tells the folks at Mashable.com that her iPhone 3 spontaneously melted down while she slept:
The woman — who spoke on the condition that her name not be used — says she was traveling on the East Coast and sleeping alone in a hotel room with the phone plugged in to an Apple charger on the nightstand “12 to 14 inches from my head.”
About 6:30am, she awoke to to a strange smell and “sizzling” and “popping” noises. Then came “not quite an explosion, but an immense crackling,” as the room filled with smoke.
“It was an awful, putrid smell, almost like you were ingesting plastic of some kind,” she said in a phone interview.
She jumped from bed and used her laptop case to pick up the phone and throw it in the hotel room sink. The hotel smoke alarms failed to work, she said. An electrician found nothing wrong with the room’s power outlet.
She said she bought the white iPhone 4 about a year ago at an Apple store in Colorado.
The woman said she came to Mashable because of Apple’s unwillingness to publicly acknowledge the incident to other iPhone owners.
This is the first case we’ve heard happening in the United States, but late last year there were reports of the same thing from users in Brazil and Australia.
There’s much more over at Mashable.com. Click here to read their entire story and see other pictures from the incident.
Have you heard of other instances of an iPhone spontaneously melting-down? Let us know in the comments below.