Paul’s New Year’s Eve Dance Party Playlist [VIDEOS]
I play music at weddingslike I play on the radio. My goal is to give my audience what they want. With all the different people and their different musical tastes, it can be difficult to be all things to all people. In my experience, there are two ways to keep the crowd happy–play hits and take requests.
Disclaimer – Pop hits may not work for hipster crowds who think that liking pop hits is uncool.
Crowds vary, but at live events, I generally play the biggest artists I possibly can just the way Lionel says…all night long. Old and new, if they charted and were popular, they won’t do you wrong. Michael Jackson, Katy Perry, Lady Gaga, Madonna, Black Eyed Peas, Beyonce, Justin Timberlake, Taylor Swift, Madonna, Britney, Maroon 5, the list goes on. People are comfortable with familiar music. The big hits find their way to everyone through radio, background satellite channels, TV, movies and commercials. More people than you may think sing along to ‘tweeny hits.
Taking requests is sooo key. When someone comes up to ask me to play something, if it’s a danceable track, I’ll put it on next. It builds energy. The person who made the request is going to bring a few people to the dance floor. Plus the fact that their song came on right when they wanted to hear it turns it into their party. They feel right at home. If I can make people feel right at home at any wedding, event or party that I DJ, the night will go well.
The best research about what the people at my events want to hear comes directly from them. Who knows better what they want to hear than they?
So, with that in mind, here is a New Year’s Eve Playlist from your friendly neighborhood DJ. It’s one that has a flow that I’ve used and I would use it for New Year’s, were I playing the tunes (I’m hosting the Fire and Ice Show at the Promenade Shops at Centerra’s Ice Rink New Year Celebration).
Clear a space for dancing and enjoy the tunes!
- I Got A Feeling – Black Eyed Peas
- Locked Out of Heaven - Bruno Mars
- Firework - Katy Perry
- Cupid Shuffle – Cupid
- Call Me Maybe – Carly Rae Jepsen
- Lights – Ellie Gouldling
- Get the Party Started - Pink
- Party Rock Anthem – LMFAO
- Tik Tok - Kesha
- Billy Jean – Michael Jackson
- Stayin’ Alive – Bee Gees
- Footloose - Kenny Loggins
- Groove is in the Heart – Dee Lite
- Moves Like Jagger – Maroon 5
- Empire State of Mind – Jay Z and Alicia Keys
- Good Feeling – Flo Rida
- Feel So Close – Calvin Harris
- Gangnam Style – PSY
- We Found Love – Rihanna
- Electric Feel – MGMT
- Edge of Glory – Lady Gaga
- The Way You Move – Outkast
- Jungle Boogie – Kool and the Gang
- Joy to the World – Three Dog Night
- Brick House – The Commodores
- Don’t Stop ’til You Get Enough - Michael Jackson
- Humpty Dance – Digital Underground
- Rock That Body – Black Eyed Peas
- Evacuate the Dancefloor – Cascada
- Low – Flo Rida
- Higher – Taio Cruz
- Like a G6 – Far East Movement
- Baby – Justin Bieber
- Big Poppa – Notorious B.I.G.
- We Are Young – Fun