Northern Colorado’s ‘Siberian Freeze’: How Cold Will It Get? Are You Prepared?
Christmas time in Colorado: Sure, we’re used to getting some snow; but the kind of cold we’re expecting the next few days- we haven’t seen in a LONG LONG LONG time!
Get the details- and a list of the items you’ll want to check to make sure you’re ready!
Best advice for the upcoming weather pattern? Don’t go licking any flag poles!
It is going to get C-O-L-D! The ‘Siberian Freeze‘ is on its way to Northern Colorado- this isn’t a cute nickname- the temperatures are coming right from Siberia itself!
The higher elevations of Larimer County (6,000-9,000 ft) will be under a Winter Storm Warning Tuesday afternoon through Wednesday afternoon, with 9-25″ of snow possible. The lower elevations will also be under a Winter Storm Warning within the same time-frame:
From the National Weather Service:
SNOW ACCUMULATIONS… 6 TO 15 INCHES POSSIBLE… HEAVIEST NEAR THE FOOTHILLS
Also falling- the temps!! Monday saw highs into the upper-50′s. Hope you enjoyed it, because it all ends as of Tuesday. Tuesday should start out OK, with temps in the 30′s but that doesn’t take into account the wind-chill; we’ll see winds 20-30 miles an hour. By late Tuesday, the snow will begin to fall. Tuesday night’s low is expected to be 14. Cold? Sure. But wait- it gets colder.
Wednesday, additional snow, with 6-14″ total with the storm, and frigid temps. A high of ONLY 15 is in store for us Wednesday- and a low of…. -4 for that night!! Check the thermostat!
Thursday, less snow, but the cold won’t be letting up. A high of only 10 is expected that day, and a low of -13!! Thirteen below! That’s not lucky for anybody!
The week wraps up on Friday with a high of 14 and a low (once again below zero0 of -7.
So, it’s going to be a long stretch of absolutely frostbite weather. Here’s some good advice on what to do Tuesday- BEFORE it all really takes hold:
- Put gas in the car. Do it. The last thing you’re going to want to do is get out of the car to put gas in it. Uggh.
- Raise up your wipers at night: Yes, it looks completely stupid. But if you raise them up, they won’t be frozen to the windshield- that’s a hassle and lessens the life-span of the wipers.
- Stock up: Whether you’re stocking up on hot cocoa, or stocking the car with some bottled water, extra clothes, a blanket, and jumper cables- you won’t be sorry once you’ve done it. Jumper cables especially!!
- Charge it: DO NOT get out into the Siberian Freeze without a fully charged phone. A car charger is probably the best $10-$20 investment you can make right now.
- Anti-Freeze Indeed: How are your levels? You probably don’t know- find out!!
Some extra advice- try to stay upbeat. The cold-snap will pass (sooner or later) and being cranky about it.. just makes people want to stay away from you; trust us- you’re going to need all the snuggle-buddies you can get!