Lesser-Talked-About Denver Gems
This is for when you just need to escape your everyday surroundings, but still keep it simple. Since I'm restoring my entire house, I have to remind myself to get the heck away regularly! This is also great for your relationship with your sweetheart, and kids, but it can also be therapeutic with a friend or even by yourself!
It had been awhile since we did an impromptu Denver escape, so we went out a little more than usual and spent the night. These days, La Quintas tend to be the best quality for the least money.
We also included:
- The light rail. Riding trains excites us all, especially when it means skipping driving in traffic.
- Union Station. I was surprised how fun I found that, without even going inside the building.
- Wynkoop Brewery. We grabbed a table in the patio that's a bit closed in and private-feeling, as loft apartments surround that place. Great beer!
- The Rio. This was a surprise, so it was meant to be, ya know, to have a couple of those margaritas.
- The next day, Mother's Day was made more complete with a visit to IKEA.
Denver escapes don't have to be this involved, though. I'm planning on a more typical visit soon, where I spend an undetermined amount of time in Angelo's Record Store (formerly Independent Records) on Colfax. Yes, I learned there IS a huge record store there, still!! Usually that's about all our trip to Denver entails, along with a quick brewery visit and/or something good to eat.
I'd love to know your ideas for quick escapes, too!