How to Get Rid of Hiccups
You’ve probably heard of a ton of crazy ways to get rid of hiccups. I think the funniest one I’ve seen involves drinking water whist hanging upside down. Well, for those of us that prefer not to be accidentally waterboarded, here’s a much easier way that actually works…
…at least, it’s worked for me literally every time!
- Make sure you are standing or sitting up straight. Try not to slouch.
- Exhale completely.
- Take a slow, controlled breath in. (If you hiccup whilst breathing in, start over.)
- Take in as much air as your lungs will hold
- Keep still, and hold the air in for as long as you can, comfortably. (If you hiccup whilst holding your breath, start over.)
- Slowly exhale completely.
- IMPORTANT: After exhaling, do not sharply gasp for air. This makes your diaphragm spasm, which is what was causing your hiccups in the first place!
- Take a few slow and controlled breaths. If you’ve done everything correctly, you’re hiccups should be gone!
Again, this works for me every time. My wife has less luck; but I maintain that’s because sometimes she doesn’t hold her breath for long enough.
Try it for yourself, then tell me in the comments if it works for you!