We have received information from the Poudre Valley Fire Authority reporting that a high volume of Fort Collins area citizens have been calling authorities this afternoon regarding the smell of a natural gas leak. We are told that the area of concern has been South of Horsetooth Road and East of Shields Street.

However authorities believe that the smell is being caused by an excess injection of Mercaptan into the area by Xcel Energy. At this time they ask that if you smell natural gas, you open windows to air out your home or building before calling 911. If the problem persists they ask that you do call 911.

Check back for any updates as we keep you up to date on this situation.