Are You OK With Gay Marriage? [POLL]
Today is "National Coming Out Day," a day to celebrate gay culture and also encourage gays who haven't told anyone about their sexuality to do so. With the gay community becoming a more active part of our society today, the issue of gay marriage has also become a very hot, but controversial topic. Where do you stand on gay marriage?
In Colorado gay marriage is currently illegal, but seven states have legalized gay marriage: Iowa, Vermont, New York, Connecticut, Massachusetts, Washington, New Hampshire, plus Washington D.C. Some other interesting gay marriage facts include...
- Netherlands became the first country to legalize gay marriage in 2001.
- Currently ten countries world-wide have legalized gay marriage including South Africa, Belgium, Sweden, Canada, Spain, Norway, and Portugal.
- California legalized gay marriage, but it was outlawed with the passing of Proposition 8 in November 2008.
- Massachusetts was the first state to legalize gay marriage in 2004.
- Though gay marriage wasn't legal until the 2000s gay couples were getting married on TV shows in the 1990s. Sitcom Roseanne featured a gay marriage in 1995 while Friends featured a lesbian wedding in 1996.
- Alaska and Hawaii were the first states to legally ban gay marriage in 1998.
- The state of Maryland passed legislation to legalize gay marriage this year, but the legality is still being challenged and no marriages have taken place yet.
- Twelve states recognize civil unions for gay couples. Civil unions grant some but not all of the legal benefits of marriage. The states include: New Jersey, Rhode Island, Colorado, Maine, Nevada, Delaware, Hawaii, Illinois, Oregon, Wisconsin, and Washington.
- Many celebrities, gay and straight, are vocal supporters of legalized gay marriage including Brad Pitt, Miley Cyrus, Emma Roberts, and Josh Hutcherson.